Monday, February 18, 2008

think piece #2 Aria by Richard Rodriquez

Aria by Richard Rodriquez


Premise:

Confusion
Shyness
Lack of understand
Loss of closeness of family
Frustration
Denial
Americanism
Unfairness
Change
Silence
Hardships
Learning
Life lessons


Author’s argument:

Richard Rodriquez argues that when bilingual children are taught English they lose their ethnic backgrounds and at times tend to be ashamed of them.


Evidence:

1.”one Saturday morning I entered the kitchen where my parents were talking in Spanish. I did not realize that they were talking in Spanish however until, at the moment me, I heard their voices change to speak English”
2.” My mother! My father! After English became my primary language, I no longer knew what words to use when addressing my parents”
3.,"as we children learned more and more English, we shared fewer and fewer words with our parents."


Points to share:

I thought that this article was not a hard read. I didn’t have to go back many times and reread anything. Also I had to barely look anything up. I thought this article was very interesting never having to learn another language at such a young age I never knew what it was like. English was always the spoken language in my home. I can’t even imagine the difficulties this family went through and the hardships caused because of this. Rodriquez was very lucky to have parents that were willing to give up a lot for their children to be able to learn English. Teachers should not try to silence children’s second language but also incorporate it into their learning

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Katie,

You make great points here about the sacrifices that Rodrigues' family had to make for their kids. Do you hear Richard suggesting that this is worth it?

LB :)